Mary Lee Anderson
Dear Friends of Senior Services of Alexandria,
SSA celebrated its Golden Anniversary—50 years of providing programs and services to seniors in Alexandria. We accomplished some major milestones and have plans to move forward with more support to seniors in Alexandria.
Here are just a few highlights from 2017/2018:
- The MOW program continues to expand its outreach to seniors and it currently serves 100 seniors. The program has made significant improvements to its daily operations including new software that is automating daily functions.
- Groceries to Go Program: This program has grown and now deliveries are happening weekly from Giant as well as every other week from Harris Teeter. SSA has increased the number of seniors on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to 8 clients. There are currently 57 volunteers who shop for and deliver groceries to 68 seniors.
- Senior Academy: SSA held two sessions in the Fall and Spring. The four-week classes continue to draw seniors who are looking to become engaged in their communities within the City.
- Senior Ambassadors: SSA’s newest program kicked-off in the Fall and now has 36 ambassadors, representing all areas of the City, providing information about programs and services available to seniors.
- Silver Service Card: Over 40 local businesses participate in this free program and provide discounts to Alexandria seniors over 60.
- Caring Connection: Supported by a major gifts campaign, Caring Connection is a new program that goes beyond our Meals on Wheels program to provide short-term personalized health and safety monitoring of medically-vulnerable seniors.
It is exciting to see how SSA continues to develop new programs to serve seniors in the City of Alexandria. We thank our supporters because we could not do it without your generosity.
Mary Lee Anderson