Mary Lee Anderson
Dear Friends of Senior Services of Alexandria,
This past year, SSA focused on what it does best: Nutrition, Transportation, Community and Education.
Here are just a few highlights from 2018/2019:
• Meals on Wheels: This program continues to expand its outreach to seniors and currently serves 100 clients. This year, SSA made significant enhancements, including hiring new staff and training many of our volunteers on using the new mobile delivery app.
• Groceries to Go: This program now delivers weekly from Giant as well as every other week from Safeway. There are 76 clients in this life-sustaining program and we have hired a new part-time assistant to help manage the rapid growth.
• Senior Academy: SSA held two sessions in the Fall and Spring. The four-week classes continue to draw seniors who are looking to become engaged in their communities within the City.
• Senior Ambassadors: This program, recently lauded by the City’s Commission on Aging, recruited and trained 57 ambassadors in just the first year. These leaders represent all areas of the City, providing information about programs and services available to seniors.
• Silver Service Card: Over 40 local businesses participate in this free program and provide discounts to Alexandria seniors over 60.
• Caring Connection: Our new program, that goes beyond our Meals on Wheels program to provide short-term personalized health and safety monitoring of medically-vulnerable seniors, has served its first clients and was met with warm reception.
It is exciting to see how SSA continues to develop new programs to serve seniors in the City of Alexandria. We thank our supporters because we could not do it without your generosity.
Mary Lee Anderson